The two remaining subs of the Typhoon class, the world’s largest nuclear powered submarines, will stay in service until 2019, says Head of the Russian Navy Vladimir Vystosky. The subs are now awaiting overhaul.
Admiral Vysotsky last year announced that the two remaining Typhoon submarines, “Severstal” and “Arkhangelsk”, would not be scrapped, but put back into service. On Friday he said that they will stay in service until 2019, RIA Novosti reports.
- They have good modernization potential, the admiral said. According to RIA Novosti, several ways of modernization are under consideration, but a final resolution has not yet been made.
The two vessels are awaiting overhaul at a naval base in Severodvinsk, Arkhangelsk Oblast.
Three of the originally built six Typhoon-class submarines are scrapped. The decommissioning work on the last of these was completed in the beginning of June 2009, as BarentsObserver.com reported.
The Dmitry Donskoy submarine has been modernized as a test platform for Russia’s new Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile.
The 175 meter (574 feet) long and 24,000 tons heavy vessel is the largest nuclear powered submarine ever built. During the Cold War the six Typhoon-class submarines were based at the naval base in Zapadnaya Litsa, only some 50 kilometers from the border to Norway.
The company is closing down its biggest mine in the Kola Peninsula following plummeting raw material prices. Consequences will be dramatic for Zapolyarny, the industrial town located along the border to Norway.
August 9th, the Barents Region celebrated the UN International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples. The day was commemorated in several parts of the region, including Karasjok in Northern Norway and Teriberka in Northwestern Russia.
“This sends a clear message to Russia that things aren’t so good when it comes to basic journalistic values in Norway either” The firing of BarentsObserver’s Editor Thomas Nilsen has led to massive reactions from journalists and other protectors of press freedom.